Originally built in 1888 to handle the enormous lumber trade from the Pacific Northwest, Redondo’s Wharf 1 was the first of Redondo’s era of piers, wharfs, and harbors. The current seventh generation horseshoe-shaped pier stands 25 feet above the water, spans 70,000 square-feet of open space. and is known as the largest “endless” pier on the California coast. It is also connected to a remnant of the wooden Monstad Pier (Wharf 3) that was built in the 1920s. Today, the Redondo Landing serves as the gateway building to The Pier, Its façade is reminiscent of the Looff Hippodrome, a carousel building that was built on The Pier in the 1920s. Redondo Beach Pier continues to host visitors from around the world and generations of local families who have grown up with regular visits to the Redondo Beach Municipal Pier.
Next time you visit the Pier, look for the Path of History markers or stop by Redondo Landing to learn more about the history of Redondo Beach Pier and the surrounding area.
George Freeth Memorial
Terry O’Donnell (1940-2006), Sculptor
Originally erected in 1977. Rededicated, 2010.